Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fun with the Avengers!

The Avengers have been my favorite comic ever since I first saw them way back in 1980. It was one of my first comics and is still today one of my favorites.
Because of this I like to have fun reimagining  The World's Mightiest Heroes in different roles. Here are a few of those reimaginings.


The Aven-Gers done in the fashion of Popeye's E. C. Segar with Popey as Thor and The Hulk in a quasy Bluto style. I had to maintain the Hulk's looks to keep him recognizable. In the background there is Olive Oil as the Black Widow, Sweet Pea wearing an Iron Man mask and J. Wellington Wimpy as Hawkeye.

Another fun little illustration I did was a satire on the Original Avengers and there trouble taming the Hulk's impish nature.
I call this satirical team the Adversers.
I based this one on Avengers #1 from way back in 1963..
Avengers #1 by Stan Lee and jack Kirby, September 1963.
I have great affection for the original team. I love the whole rag tag bunch including clumsy yellow armor Iron Man. Though this team only stayed together for 2, maybe 3 issues if you count the big fight between the Avengers, the Hulk and Namor, the Sub-Mariner in issue #3. 
Avengers #3 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Jan 1964.

Here are a few pages from Avengers #2 illustrates the Hulk's bad boy behavior and tentative relationship with the Avengers from Avengers #2.
Avengers #2, page 1, Nov. 1963
Avengers #2, page 2, Nov. 1963


No comments:

Post a Comment