Friday, December 21, 2018

Serpentine raven pendant

I got a dremel and have been using it on local stones, in this case I carved a raven into a piece of serpentine that I found in the river.




I've been really enjoying the local serpentine in the mountain rivers of the Sierra Nevada in California. Gold country. Some people call it California jade. I love the green color and the harder pieces have some a smooth, shiny feeling to them.

And I've been really inspired by the animal spirits. Working on their likenesses has been so exciting for me. Now, it's not so much about making a good image. Now it's more about making an image that I feel conveys the spirit of the animal. I've been really inspired by primitive art from around the world. Aztec. Nordic. African. I feel that the spirit of the animal transcends the art. It doesn't matter so much about the style. In this case the beak of the raven was important for me to get because that's how it is recognizable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment