Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Colusa County Fair logo contest submission

I saw an add in a local newspaper, the Territorial Dispatch, for a logo contest for the 2013 Colusa Fair.

The idea was to make an image that followed this years theme of "Crafts, Crops and Critters". This was my submission -


My idea was to make something that would look good at one inch or two feet. For that you can't have too much detail. I decided to make silhouettes of some of the theme elements and color them in reds, oranges and purples.

I did rough sketches looking for a suitable composition and arrangement of the elements.
Here you can see some sketches of me playing with the elements and colors.
Shape are really important. You've got to break down the elements to the basic shapes and see how they fit together as parts and as a whole.  You want it to be as catchy as possible to people who will only be glancing at it for a second so you've really got to have all the elements work as a whole. Here I was kind of arranging the elements into a kind of pyramid shape.
My colored pencils were limited so I made do with what I had. I thought about blues and greens but they really didn't feel right to me.

Then I made a more detailed sketch that I used as a model to work from.

I was thinking about painting this with acrylics but I thought it would be faster and easier on the computer.
I stuck to a more realistic depiction of the animals because I felt it would have a more universal appeal. Some people are turned off by cartoony, and adding real elements give the work a kind of mass and something for the eye to linger on and study which is important when your doing silhouettes, because of their over simplified nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment